Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Week 12

Annoying Polygon Song

This past week in math we learned all about polygons! Since the kids were required to memorize a large amount of vocabulary, I decided a fun song was overdue... so (naturally) I found a song about polygons sung by a man with a quirky British accent. You can check it out below. Disclaimer: It will get stuck in your head and drive you crazy... you've been warned.

The end doesn't have a good moral, it's pretty terrible actually (getting plastic surgery so you're no longer "just a boring square" is not the message I meant to send to the kids) but it was funny and went right over their heads.


Daily 5

This week we also did "Daily 5" during our literacy block. During this, the kids always do such a great job staying quiet and on task (it's a relaxing time for everyone). Also, my mentor teacher has many fantastic Word Work activities and tools, it's impressive to say the least. I took some photos of the kids at each station. Daily 5 is definitely something I plan to implement in my own future classroom, and thanks to Mrs. MacInnes I have a few ideas to get me started!


Station 1: Read to Self, books from leveled book folders


Station 2: Read to Someone


Station 3: Work on Writing (these girls spent their time writing "Acts of kindness" which I later found out they were writing for me... I posted them below!) Their kind words really meant a lot to me.



:)


Station 4: Word Work (This kiddo is doing letter stamping)

Station 5: Listen to Reading 



Polygon/Line Segment Scavenger Hunt!

Earlier in the week, I created a scavenger hunt for the kids to do around the school. They were to find different objects that are polygons, line segments, parallel, etc. I wanted to get them out of their seats for a change and make things a bit more hands-on. I am also a firm believer that it is important for students to take the math they are learning in the classroom and apply it to the real world. They had a blast finding the different objects and, for many of them, their understanding of the concepts suddenly "clicked." Scavenger hunts are always an adventure! Luckily things didn't get too crazy since we had a few extra adults handy so we could split the kids up into groups to walk around separate areas of the school.





Happy hunting :)




No comments:

Post a Comment